The Holiday season can be full of ‘busyness’ which in turn can create a domino effect on our well-being…physically, emotionally, mentally. There are many ways to calm the spirit and feel that Inner Peace.
Before beginning, let us first ground ourselves in this beautiful message by Pema Chödrön:
“What you do for yourself – any gesture of kindness, any gesture of gentleness, any gesture of honesty and clear seeing toward yourself – will affect how you experience your world. In fact, it will transform how you experience the world. What you do for yourself, you’re doing for others, and what you do for others, you’re doing for yourself.”
We cleanse the body to be clean, yes?
We warm our muscles before stretching….
But how are we preparing this temple to be calmly active? It is certainly a struggle I had for many years. I equated ‘activity’ with a productive, meaningful life. Indeed, it was productive. It was not a balanced life though.
First…examine your 24 hour day:
- how much sleep does your body require? 6 hrs? 8 hrs? Find your number & adjust bedtime & awakening time accordingly. Our bodies are actively healing while we’re sleeping. Turn off all electronics 1 hour before bedtime.
- Drink eight glasses of purified water daily. Remember black teas & caffeinated coffees are dehydrating.
- Eat nutrient-dense whole foods, slowly and with gratitude.
- Move those muscles daily.
- Limit the news to 5 min.
- Take time for self daily
Ok, so we’ve prepared our temple….what’s next?
There are many paths to a mountain’s peak. Choose what feels right for you.
- SLOW THE BREATHING – consider practicing Alternate Nostril Breathing – balances the right & left hemispheres of our brain. Calms the brain.
- CLEAR THE MIND – Meditation – still the mind & body and discover Inner Peace
- SEA SALT BATHS – Dr. Brouse advises 1# of sea salt to a tub of hot water and soak for 30-45 minutes. Calms the nervous system & softens the skin.
- NUTRIENTS – be sure you have enough B-complex to keep the urine a clear, bright yellow. Since B’s are water-soluble, it is better to take 1-2 at a time several times a day, then taking them all at once. Some days are a 2 B day and some are 6 B days. Stress Relief Complex for those times, you know you may be placed in a stressful situation. Some folks start their day with 4.
- PROTEIN – the foundation of every single cell. Any Shaklee protein chosen will provide a biologically complete always Non GMO source.
- OTT LIGHT – simulates natural sunlight. And, please, get your vitamin D3 level tested. If it is not covered by insurance, go to www.vitamindcouncil.org and order the at-home test kit. Dr. Brouse advocates a healthy level of between 75-125 ng/ml. (most are only in the 20’s or 30’s)
- NATURE – go hug a tree.
And in closing, have fun with the 3 points our Yoga instructor teaches:
- Bend that beautiful spine 6 different ways daily
- LAUGH – 500 times/day
And enjoy these upcoming Holidays.